Learning Path 2
The value of patent documentation
The world around us is full of new technical ideas that successfully transform our everyday life. But what is the role of patents in this landscape? What conditions does an invention have to meet to become a patent? Moreover, what is patent information and in which ways can you benefit from it?
You will get the answers to all of these questions in this learning path.
Think patents: the value of patent documentation for innovation and research
This self-paced course offers an introduction on:
- the importance of patents as source of scientific information at the forefront of a particular technological field
- patentability requirements for inventions
- legal coverage offered by patents, the advantages and restrictions they entail
- the structure of a patent document and what to look at when trying to identify the information you need
- where and how to search for patent documents
- different types of intellectual property rights and when it is appropriate to use them
In the previous course you became familiar with patent documents as a rich source of technological and legal information openly available to individual researchers, organisations, universities and corporations. In the next course you will discover the stories of three scientific breakthroughs turned into successfully commercialized inventions which changed our everyday life. These real-life examples illustrate the strategical and practical relevance of patents and IP in general for research-driven businesses.
Use patents: cases from research results
In this self-paced course you will become familiar with :
- the case of Fast Low Angle Shot (FLASH) MRI: a new and revolutionary MRI method which speeded up image acquisition time and the long and the fierce litigation battle fought in order to commercialise the patent.
- how inventor Carles Puente Baliarda revolutionised antenna design with the introduction of fractal-based antennae. The patenting of his inventions paved the way for the founding of Fractus, S.A.
- the story of Baseclick, a company set up in 2008 which has a thriving business in the field of biomedicine offering solutions based on their core technology, the "click reaction".
You will get an insight into the starting points, challenges faced, commercialization journeys and business models used in these cases, told by the inventors and founders themselves.
In the previous course you saw how important it is to be aware of the patent landscape in the technological field of interest in order to take well informed decisions when filing a patent application and to avoid potential infringements when putting together your commercialization strategy.
In the next course you will have access to a variety of tools created to help you find your way around patent information products and services the EPO makes available to the public.
EPO Patent information tools
In this self-paced course you will find:
- tutorials and introductory resources about patent information in general and about specific EPO tools for searching and observing patent information.
- recordings of recent webinars about the latest developments, (new) features etc. of the different patent information tools offered by the EPO.